Kyronkaankaantie road from Hameenkyro to Kauhajoki, so from Finland to
Pohjanmaa province is an old highway, which in the old times has been one of
the empire's main roads and the only link ably to use in summertime when
traveling from the castle of Hameenlinna to the city of Vaasa. The
Kyronkankaantie road has been used as a post line, war road and population
The Kyronkankaantie road has been established in the Middle Ages in
connection with hunting transport and fur trade. As early as in those days
it has run near place where we can see it on the maps from the 1650's and
King Gustav II Adolf used the Kyronkankaantie Winter road in 1628 when traveling
from Narva to Stockholm. King Adolf Frederick travelled on the Kyronkankaantie Summer road in 1752 when making his 'eric's tour' in Finland.
The Kyrönkankaatie road and its views are often remained quite natural, so
the road is an excellent way to learn to know the nature and history of
In times past the sights of the road have been the Hallapyora rapid in
Hameenkyro, the Uhrilahde (Sacrifice spring) in Jamijarvi, The
Kuninkaanlahde (King's spring) in Kankaanpaa and the inns like Hollo,
Vehuvarpe, Soini, Niinisalo, Kyron Skanssi, Nummijarvi and Hames Havunen.
Nowadays the sights of the road are Ikaalinen Spa in Ikaalinen, Jami Ski
Tunnel in Jamijarvi, Kuninkaanlahde Caravan Center and Circle of Art in
Kankaanpaa, City Museum and Military Canteen in Niinisalo,
Kauhaneva-Pohjankangas National Park in Karvia and Hames Havunen Inn in
These Kyronkankaantie pages have been started in 2003 in the Leader project
by the LC Karvia and the Lions Clubs by the road.
R.EM RURAL EMOTION
2010 - 2013